Weight loss surgeries have witnessed huge popularity in recent times. The number of stomach-shrinking operations, a type of bariatric surgery meant for severely obese people has skyrocketed in recent years. Few celebrities of Hollywood have also opted for this form of surgery to curtail obesity.
But there are various risks associated with these surgeries especially for elderly people and those suffering from heart disease. At times, it can result in early death. Patients aged 65 or older face a nearly threefold increase in the risk of early mortality according to the latest findings. It has been found that men are nearly twice as likely to die following such procedures as opposed to women. According to the Journal of the American Medical Association, more than 5% of men and nearly 3% of women aged 35 to 44 years were dead within a year of having the surgery and a slightly higher rate was found in patients aged between 45 to 54.
Bariatric surgery is a complicated procedure therefore a surgeon requires prior experience to perform it properly. Patients whose surgeons had performed fewer than 20 procedures were nearly five times as likely to die within 30 days after the operation as compared to others. Despite the greater risk associated with it, bariatric surgery can be a safe and effective tool for morbidly obese people, who face serious health problems if they don’t lose weight.
Things you need to know about bariatric surgery
1. Bariatric surgery is not an easy option for obesity sufferers as it carries the usual pain and risks of any major gastrointestinal surgical operation.
2. Bariatric surgery requires changes in eating habits therefore after having bariatric surgery; patients remain at a lifelong risk of nutritional deficiencies.
3. Bariatric Surgery is best suited for morbidly obese people.
4. A high amount of motivation is required to make the surgery a success.
5. This procedure is costly as compared to other weight loss techniques.
Therefore, be well-informed about the surgery you want to opt for as it can make weight loss an easy and safe affair for you.